Re: collection modification SLOW

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: collection modification SLOW
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 17:26:28 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
>NetView version: 4R1, patch level: U451880
>Platform: AIX 4.2.1 running on a 590 with 768 Megs of RAM

I would expect this box to run a little slow with 18K objects in the database.
Nice memory, but I would look at reducing the number of objects, if they
are not all critical devices.

>  I have collection with about 37 items in each one (The maximum appears
>to be 40 some which is a problem because we have a router with that many
>interfaces!). When I make a modification to one of these, it takes 2-3
>hours.  If I delete or add just one object to the collection, I have to
>wait several hours for the change to take place.  In the meantime, any
>accesses to this collection database do not complete.  Thus rulesets that
>check membership in a collection timeout because inline actions that use
>wtcoll don't get an answer. There are about 18,000 objects in the object
>database.

This is not normal, I don't think. I would look for database corruption.
And call Support. Have you done an ovtopofix lately?

>Is there some value I can tweak somewhere to improve the performance
>of editing collections?

>Is there somewhere I can increase the maximum number of entries allowed
>in a collection?

I have not seen limits on the size of collections, only on the lenght of the
rule. This usually is only a
problem when you are using the Object List type of collection. This type is not
the best performer,
either. I have had to make collections that were made up of sub-collections to
get past the limit
when I had no choice but to use the list form. But usually you can take a
creative look at it and find
some Attribute criteria to base it on.

Leslie Clark
IBM Global Services - Network & Systems Management - Detroit
(248) 552-4968 TL/896-4968