Re: Frame Relay Monitoring

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Frame Relay Monitoring
From: "Owens, Blaine" <bowens@EASTMAN.COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1998 15:48:07 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Eddie, Cisco adds MIB instances (in FIFO sequence) for the
sub-interfaces, but I think you need to be at IOS 10.x (don't remember
the "x" off the top of my head). For example, if you have 20 physical
interfaces, the 1st subinterface will be instance 21, etc. Do a snmpwalk
on ifDesc to clarify which instance numbers represent which
subinterfaces. WARNING - whenever the Cisco reboots it will renumber the
instance numbers in a more logical sequence, so the numbers are subject
to change on you. WARNING #2 - PRI interfaces speak with forked tongue
(they lie). Fortunately, the far end of our PRI circuits are regular
serial interfaces so I am able to gather stats from the far end. BRI
interfaces seem to report accurate data. Hope this helps.

Blaine Owens
bowens@eastman.com