Re: Cisco HSRP support in Nv6k v5 ?

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Cisco HSRP support in Nv6k v5 ?
From: "Joel A. Gerber" <joel.gerber@USAA.COM>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 19:06:18 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
        I heard that Cisco's HSRP is *maybe* supported in Netview v5 (it is
not in
        v4.x unfortunately).
        Could anyone confirm this ?

[Joel A. Gerber]  HSRP IS supported in NetView V5, and it actually works
pretty well.  There are some bugs in netmon, however, so make sure that you
get the latest fix for netmon.  APAR IX75167 documents these bugs.

        And if it is supported, how does it work within Netview ?
        Are the virtual IP addresses created by HSRP on the routers handled
        correctly ?

[Joel A. Gerber]  I am not sure exactly how NetView discovery of the virtual
interfaces works, i.e. how does netmon detect that the IP address is not a
real interface?  It does use the system MIB object to create the interface
icon associated with the router that is currently in active state for that
interface.

When an HSRP "takeover" occurs, netmon will detect it, and automatically
delete the interface icon from the map, and add it to the "backup" router.
There are two new traps for these events, by the way, that netmon sends to
trapped.  One Goth is that you will only see the interfaces "move" from one
router to another on a map which is opened Read-Write.