Netview and node names

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Netview and node names
From: Keith Monroe <keithm@NERSP.NERDC.UFL.EDU>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 15:40:47 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
I have searched the list archives and can't find an answer, so I'm
posting here for insight.

>From what I have seen, Netview doesn't like nodes (ie: routers) to have
an IP address as the object name.  It will search down the list of
interfaces and find one that has a DNS entry and change the object name
to it.  Is there a way to keep Netview from doing this?  I have also
noticed that Netview will, at times, change the object name from what it

was discovered as to another interface name.  Any ideas why?

The reason I want to be able to do this is because it can cause SNMP
query problems.   Here's an example:

Router A has a link to us that has no DNS entry.  I add the object to
the map with the IP address.  Netview queries the router and discovers
all of the interfaces.  All seems ok.  For some reason (hopefully to be
explained by someone), Netview changes the object name to one of the
interface that has a DNS entry.  Now every SNMP operation uses that new
name.  If this name is not in your SNMP configuration all queries will
fail.  Sure I can change the symbol and selection name for the router,
but that still doesn't help me with the SNMP problem.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...

--
Keith Monroe                       E-mail:  keith@ufl.edu
NorthEast Regional Data Center      Voice: (352)392-2061 / Suncom