Manually added object disappears from db after demand poll!

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Manually added object disappears from db after demand poll!
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 00:03:52 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
 I'm wondering why you are adding it instead of making Netview discover it?
An  odd thing: it says isRouter, but not isSNMPsupported. How did that happen?
If it is a router, from Netview's point of view, it will have more than one
interface.
But we can't find out about them without snmp. If it is not snmp, netview will
want
to put it only on the segment submap. That would be inside the segment on the
subnet 10.64.1 submap. Maybe you tried to put it somewhere else? See the Admin
Guide
for details on what you can add and where you can add it. There are strict
rules...

 Best to let Netview add these things, then have the extra apps add their
special touches.

Cordially,

Leslie Clark
IBM Global Services - Network & Systems Management - Detroit

I am running NV 4 and I am manualy adding motorola objects to my maps.

I sucessfully add the object, the object turns green on the map, I query
the database using ovobjprint -s <selection name> and I get on object.

Then I demand poll the object and after the map is done syncing, the object
disappears from the map and the database!!!!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Below is the output of the ovobjprint command before and after the demand
poll:

$ ovobjprint -o 37563 | more

OBJECT: 37563

        FIELD ID        FIELD NAME                      FIELD VALUE
        10              Selection Name                  "R0131.albertsons.com"
        11              IP Hostname                     "R0131.albertsons.com"
        14              OVW Maps Exists                 1
        15              OVW Maps Managed                1
        18              SNMPAgent                       Unset(0)
        20              IP Subnet Mask                  "255.255.255.0"
        21              IP Status                       Unknown(1)
        24              isIPRouter                      TRUE
        36              vendor                          Unset(0)
        46              isNode                          TRUE
        47              isDevice                        TRUE
        49              isConnector                     TRUE
        50              isBridge                        FALSE
        51              isRouter                        TRUE
        52              isHub                           FALSE
        70              isIP                            TRUE
        86              isSNMPSupported                 FALSE
        87              isSNMPProxied                   FALSE
        95              isMLM                           FALSE
        96              isSYSMON                        FALSE
        97              isSIA                           FALSE
        98              isManager                       FALSE
        100             isSLM                           FALSE
        101             isSIAOS2                        FALSE
        4611            is65xxDev                       TRUE
        4612            is6500Dev                       FALSE
        4613            is6520Dev                       TRUE
        4628            Label                           "R0131.albertsons.com"
        4631            Object Types                    8
                                                        6520
                                                        -9999
                                                        -9999
                                                        -9999
                                                        -9999
        4632            Object Pointer                  543851608
        4635            hasaMUXport                     FALSE
        4636            hasaPADport                     TRUE
        4637            hasaX25port                     TRUE
        4638            hasaFR_DTEport                  TRUE
        4639            hasaFR_DCEport                  TRUE
        4640            hasaMX25port                    TRUE
        4641            hasaTBOPport                    TRUE
        4642            hasaSNA_SDLCport                TRUE
        4643            hasaBSC3270port                 TRUE
        4644            hasaBSC2780port                 TRUE
        4645            hasaXDLCport                    TRUE
        4646            hasaNCRBSCport                  TRUE
        4647            hasaMX25station                 TRUE
        4648            hasaSNA_SDLCstation             TRUE
        4649            hasaXDLC_SDLCstation            TRUE
        4650            hasaXDLC_MX25station            TRUE
        4651            hasaFR_DTEstation               TRUE
        4652            hasaFR_DCEstation               TRUE
        4653            hasaMUXchannel                  FALSE
        4654            supportsDCP                     TRUE
        4655            supportsDSD                     TRUE
        4656            supportsLBU                     TRUE
        4660            TopM Interface Count            1
        4666            TopM Interface List             "10.64.1.6  Unknown
   10.64.1.6       255.255.
255.0   <None>          Unknown             "
        4687            dfHist                          ""
        4706            CorrStat1                       ""
        4707            CorrStat2                       ""
        4708            CorrStat3                       ""
        4709            CorrStat4                       ""
        4710            CorrStat5                       ""
        4730            XXMAP Protocol List             "IP"
        4794            PlatformId                      0
        5075            IP Name                         "R0131.albertsons.com"
        11896           motorola IP Symbol List         7323
insnv@S7704:[/home/insnv]
$ ovobjprint -o 37563 | more

****** NO SUCH OBJECT ID ******

insnv@S7704:[/home/insnv]
$

Greg Padden                                        __     ______      __
Network Systems Engineer                      / \    |     |    /   \
International Network Services, Seattle      / I \ * |  N  | * (  S  )
Voice: (425) 462-1802                       /_____\  |_____|    \ _ /
Fax:   (425) 462-1896
11120 N.E. 8th Street,                       "Providing the power of
Suite 150, Bellevue, WA 98004                   Operable networks"
Email mailto: Greg_Padden@ins.com

Email Page mailto: page_Greg_Padden@ins.com
Message/Page Center:  +1.800.467.1467
http://www.ins.com