What determines whether ipmap updates a symbol?

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: What determines whether ipmap updates a symbol?
From: Huub van Roosmalen <huub.van.roosmalen@TIP.NL>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 00:24:39 +0200
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Hi,

We are currently running NetView 4.1E for DEC UNIX 4.0. We are
experiencing the problem that, seemingly at random, IP-card
symbols are not correctly coloured. This happens even though
netmon does its job properly. When we select Tools-> Display
Object Information..., NetView shows the correct status.

Running ovtopofix solves the problem for some nodes, but not
all. We have tried both creating the IP cards objects through
the API, and letting NetView discover the nodes itself with the
same results. When we examine the object edit dialog, ipmap is
sometimes listed, but also for those nodes the status is not
always updated. Demand polling a node does not help. And yes,
the status source for those symbols is the object status.

I have the following questions:

- what criteria determine whether ipmap will adopt an interface card
  created by another application?

- under what circumstances will ipmap stop updating the status for a
  symbol it previously did handle?

- is there a way to trace what ipmap is doing?

>From the documentation I have not been able to get a clear answer to
the above questions. Any help would be appreciated.

Huub van Roosmalen