Source of subnetmask on NetView server with 3 interfaces

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Source of subnetmask on NetView server with 3 interfaces
From: Kammerstetter Bernhard <kmt@ATIBM1.SOFTLAB.CO.AT>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 16:21:40 +0200
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Hello there,

thanks to Ray you for his answer. I tried all attemtps he suggested but until
now I didn't have success.

1)  snmpwalk for the NetView server worked as expected

2)  the configuration change in /etc/snmpd.conf

        community public                                                #
original entry for readOnly
        community public        127.0.0.1       255.255.240.0           #
change to obtain the correct netmask

didn't change the situation. The command 'ovobjprint -s' for the NetView server
still showed me the netmask    255.0.0.0 .

After I changed the configuration back to the original state I disabled the DNS
for name resolution and obtained a bad result:

After the a restart of the NetView GUI I didn't get the 'IP Internet' ICON and
all the others remain blue.

Now my 2 resulting questions:

1 ) Where does NetView get the subnetmask for it's first network interface from.

2) what happend with NetView when no IP Internet ICON is shown

Once ageain thanx in advance for any hints

B. Kammerstetter