NetView versus TEC

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: NetView versus TEC
From: Cristina Zabeu <Cristina.Zabeu@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 10:11:55 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Hello, Cornelis,

In your note you mention that ...

>> Our monitoring environment becomes more and more complex. So far
>> nobody can tell me why I should better be off with TEC instead of
>> Netview as enterprise console, besides the better ruler possibilities

I would place NetView and TEC as complementary solutions - this from a
technical and development standpoint. TEC is a great tool for you to
consolidate different occurrences on your network, and offers you
facilities such as the possibility of keeping these occurrences on a
database, the powerful BAROC rules, and the integration to the systems
management area with the many available adapters. NetView, in turn, can
be used to offload TEC of the tremendous traffic SNMP traps normally
generate. By using the NetView facilities such as the event correlation,
you can "filter" the events you want to be sent to TEC, controlling
bursts, and, at the same time, use the NetView automation facilities for
some of your operations, for instance. In this sense, you could see TEC
as a Manager of Managers (MoM) for events, with NetView as a local or
regional manager for events.

Our development idea here in Tivoli is to make the two tools to work
more and more closely together, integrating their facilities to work
cooperatively. Given this, I would say that you should consider both
tools and an adequate configuration to take advantage of the best of
them. I'm sure that here in the forum there are other good examples of
how this has been achieved in the marketplace.

Hope this helps,
Cristina Zabeu
Tivoli Systems