Re: SNMP on NT4.0

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: SNMP on NT4.0
From: Bob Natale <bnatale@ACECOMM.COM>
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 1998 12:34:58 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
>Date:    Fri, 10 Jul 1998 09:03:02 -0600
>From:    Corey Howard <Corey_Howard@TRANSALTA.COM>

Hi Corey,

>I am also having problems getting info form the SNMP on windows NT4.0
>I have compiled a new Mib.bin using the mibcc util in the resource kit.
>This MIB includes the rfc1514.mib file.  During the compile process I
>can see the ".iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.host.hrStorage" get installed.
>If I install the new mib.bin file on to a windows NT4.0 system it will not
>send back data.

Forgive me if I've overlooked something implicit in your report,
but just compiling the HR MIB itself doesn't do much w/o an agent
that implements it.  In this case, it sounds like you need an
extension agent (DLL) that plugs into (or totally replaces) the
MS system agent.  (If so, I believe the Empire Technologies has
a good solution.)

>although using the same process on a nt3.51 system works fine.

Hmmm.  Well, that might shoot down my point above, unless in fact
you do have such an extension agent on the 3.51 system...?

>Has anyone ran in to the problems before and no a fix.

Perhaps the IBM/Tivoli "system agent for NT" (I think there is
such a product) also provides the host resources sub-agent and
maybe you have that installed (and so configured) on the 3.51
box...?

Also, if you want you can go to www.winsnmp.com and download
the Auto*Manage package from the /demos dir, use the raw MIB
walker (NP_WALK.EXE) to scan the full contents of the system
(and extension) agents on both boxes and compare the diffs.
...might give you some hint if, in fact, you think the two
boxes are configured the same wrt an HR agent capability.

Cordially,

BobN
---- ISO 9001 Registered, H/W & S/W Products| NASDAQ: ACEC -----
Bob Natale          | ACE*COMM              | 301-721-3000 [v]
Dir, Net Mgmt Prod  | 704 Quince Orchard Rd | 301-721-3001 [f]
bnatale@acecomm.com | Gaithersburg MD 20878 | www.acecomm.com
----- WinSNMP DLL, SDK, Apps & Agents for Win16/32 & UNIX ------
------ WinSNMP specs and sample code at www.winsnmp.com --------