[no subject]

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
From: Rozi-Ai Abd-Rahman <Ai@MESINIAGA.COM.MY>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 17:19:42 +0800
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Hello, I am trying to install NV 4 on 41T machine using 8mm tape drive  . I
have installed all prerequisites but my installation failed and complained
which seems like a tape error. . I check errpt and check my tape drive and
cannot find any error on the tape drive...I am afraid that my tape is
broken

!) Has anybody seen this error message before..Is this really tape
problem...(OHHH BOY)
2) This customer has got  TME 10 Management Server CDs (which has TME
products  that need to be decoded to install)..Since they bought NV they
should be able to install the NetView from this CD ...if the tape is really
broken.HOWEVER I do not have CD drive and need to mount CD from a different
server..Has anybody done this..Can this be done..Does the product
code/password allow this

THanks for your help

Ai

==== features pre_i Wed Jul 15 12:31:28 TAIDT 1998 ====
==== database pre_i Wed Jul 15 12:31:29 TAIDT 1998 ====
Restoring files, please wait.
128 files restored.
129 files restored.

THE ERROR Message
restore: 0511-701 A unexpected end of file condition has occurred.
         There is no writer on the input pipe.
restore: 0511-107 Cannot read from pipe. There is an unpacking error.
restore: 0511-115 There is an internal unpacking error.
0503-700 inurest:  Error in restoring files
The restore failure may be due to a tape error or SCSI bus reset.
Please check your physical SCSI configuration, the tape, the tape drive,
and then try again.
0503-037 inurest:  Failure on system call to execute command
/usr/lib/instl/inu_tape_dd -b 62 -d /dev/rmt0.1 | /usr/bin/dd ibs=62b
obs=1240b conv=sync 2>/dev/null |/usr/sbin/restbyname -S  -xA -C 1240 -f -
-Z /tmp/inutmp.sn6qa/sorted.al.

0503-464 installp:  The installation has FAILED for the "usr" part
        of the following filesets:
        nv6000.base.obj 4.1.2.0
        nv6000.features.obj 4.1.2.0
        nv6000.database.obj 4.1.2.0

installp:  Cleaning up software for:
        nv6000.base.obj 4.1.2.0
        nv6000.features.obj 4.1.2.0
        nv6000.database.obj 4.1.2.0

==== base unpre_i Wed Jul 15 12:34:39 TAIDT 1998 ====
NOTE:    Saving /tmp/update.log to /tmp/update.log.fail
Base operation complete...
==== database unpre_i Wed Jul 15 12:34:39 TAIDT 1998 ====
Finished processing all filesets.  (Total time:  5 mins 33 secs).

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------
---+
                     Post-installation Processing...
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------
---+
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------
---+
                                Summaries:
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------
---+

Installation Summary
--------------------
Name                        Level           Part        Event       Result
----
nv6000.base.obj             4.1.2.0         USR         APPLY       FAILED

nv6000.base.obj             4.1.2.0         USR         CLEANUP     SUCCESS

nv6000.features.obj         4.1.2.0         USR         APPLY       FAILED

nv6000.features.obj         4.1.2.0         USR         CLEANUP     SUCCESS

nv6000.database.obj         4.1.2.0         USR         APPLY       FAILED

nv6000.database.obj         4.1.2.0         USR         CLEANUP     SUCCESS

[Jul 15 1998, 12:34:42]
1800-035 Exit status (-114) returned by command.
(Command process used stdout and stderr file
descriptors connected to