Re: Newbie Question: Alert/Trap

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Newbie Question: Alert/Trap
From: James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 17:24:52 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
The short answer here is "user programming".  I am not an NT guy by trade
so my terminology may not be what it should be, but hopefully you will get
the idea.

Trap Settings in NT does not offer you the same flexibility as it does in
UNIX so you have to be more creative.
In UNIX you could make a copy of the trap and specify in the copy which
nodes it applied to.  But there is no node list  function in trap settings
for NT.  So I think what you would have to do is write a script (batch
file?) and pass it $A (the origin of the trap) and in that script determine
if that is one of the nodes you are interested in or not, and issue your
command if it is.   You would specify this script/batch file as the command
to be executed for this trap in Options -- Trap Settings from the Event
Browser.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

GAREY SMILEY <garey_smiley@goodyear.com> on 07/13/98 08:45:15 AM