Rulesets

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Rulesets
From: "Jorge A. Jiles" <Jorge.Jiles@UALBERTA.CA>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 15:14:28 -0600
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Hello there; I'm running nv5.0 under aix 4.2.1 on an rs6000 240 dual
processor.

here goes the problem:

There is a simple ruleset that checks all netmon and agents traps; verifies
that the device is being managed and pass arguments to an action script. It
works ok for single or few traps at once but when we have problems with one
of our main campus routers (the netview server goes through this router)
sometimes we get traps to be process by the ruleset up to two hours later
(I must mention that due to the lack on dependency tree capabilities of
netview we get hundreds of traps at once). The trap is logged immediately
into the trapd.log but when it has to be process by the ruleset sometimes
takes an awful long time. Does any of the daemons such as nvcorrd or
actionsrv caches entries if netview gets to many traps at once? Part of the
action script is to write the outage to an outage log; the entries on this
log are something like every 2 minutes untill all traps (hundreds) have
been logged. So if the main router coldstarts per say at midnight the first
entry is right at midnight and the last is at something like 02:00.

No "process table full" message was log on the server either.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

thanks.

.
Jorge A. Jiles