Re: Netview Traffic

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Netview Traffic
From: Mearl Danner <jmdanner@SAMFORD.EDU>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 08:33:26 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
We have about 1500 nodes in our database, of which about
100 are snmp capable. The traffic on the Netview interface
(100FD ethernet) never shows higher then .05%. We poll
every 5 minutes and are collecting interface utilization
percentages on 34 router ports every 10 minutes.

I believe the reason you haven't had a reply up to now is
that the traffic from a management station is entirely
dependent on what you are monitoring and what info you're
collecting. The bigger the network and the more information
you want, the more traffic generated.

On Wed, 29 Jul 1998 10:51:15 EDT "Jeremy W."
<jw@UK.IBMMAIL.COM> wrote:

> Help!
>
> I need to get a rough idea of how much Network traffic is generated by
> Netview.
>
>  1) Bytes per Status-poll for SNMP-managed nodes
>
>  2) Bytes per Status-poll for ICMP-only nodes
>
>  3) Bytes per Config-change-poll per SNMP node
>
>  4) Bytes per Discovery-poll if using seedfile + "Discover all Networks"
>
>  5) Anything else Netview does that I don't know about!!!
>

> Also, what is the impact of the "At automatic intervals" option on
> polling?
>
> What I'm really trying to get is a roughly accurate idea of the total
> network hit by a single Netview Console with no MLMs.
>
> Does anyone have any algorithms etc.?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jeremy.

>  Jeremy Worrell (CS), IBM UK Ltd.            +44 (1438) 769759
>  NT 4.0 Platform Development                 jw@uk.ibmmail.com

Mearl Danner
Network Engineer
Email: jmdanner@samford.edu