Invalid SNMPTrap packets

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Invalid SNMPTrap packets
From: "Ken Freeman, Woolwich plc" <GBWBSJHS@IBMMAIL.COM>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 10:17:47 EDT
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
I am hoping that some of the Optivity users who subscribe to this list may be
able to help me resolve a small problem that I am having......

We recently installed Optivity 8.1 on top of our NetView 4.2.1 (+ U451880)
system. Since the install was completed our trapd.log has been recording
sporadic cases of the following message:

   WARNING: invalid SNMPTrap packet from agent 10.150.0.1 source A pid -1

where 10.150.0.1 is the IP address of the NetView Server.

Today, as part of the follow-up work, I have changed the FaultMan.conf file to
limit its processing to the Bay Switches only and restarted the Super Agent
(using sa_init). Since the restart the trickle of messages received about the
'invalid SNMPTrap packet' has become a torrent!

Please can someone suggest what is causing this to oocur and what I need to do
to PD/resolve the problem (I am assuming it is a problem).

Thanks for any assistance you may be able to give,

Ken Freeman   <gbwbsjhs@ibmmail.com>
Woolwich plc