Re: MLM and NV distributed futures

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: MLM and NV distributed futures
From: Will Mason <wmason@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1998 16:17:29 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Scott Wilson wrote:

> 1) Is the MLM set to drop support in the near (or distant) future?  If
> so, any date set?

    Not that I know of, and I would be the one to know.

> 2) Is there any other direction on the horizon for distributed NV
> management?  I have heard from a Tvioli rep that there will be some new
> functionality in NV 5.2, but since 5.1 is not even out yet, I haven't
> heard anything on NV 5.2.  If there will be a new direction for NV 5.2
> that could/would replace the MLM functionalty, it would be VERY helpful
> to know early on for our planning purposes. We would really like to see
> distributed management consoles that can report back to a central NV
> (data and status, similar to HP-OV/NNM MS/CS relationship).

NetView 5.1 for UNIX and NT is to be released mid-September and will
continue to use the MLM functionality as well as client/server
functionality.
MLM's will do limited discovery, polling and event correlation to take some
of those processes off the server and offload some of the processor time.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Will
Will Mason
NetView Product Evangelist
Tivoli Systems

wmason@tivoli.com

http://www.tivoli.com

"While the inferior man seeks to put the blame on
other persons, bewailing his fate, the superior
man seeks the error within himself."

I-Ching