NetView NT Q: Configuring netmon to "skip" ipRouteifIndex

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: NetView NT Q: Configuring netmon to "skip" ipRouteifIndex
From: "Truxton, Stephen" <stephen.truxton@INTEL.COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 09:32:33 -0700
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Hola!  :-)

Is there a way to configure netmon to "skip" demand polls and/or route table
queries for specific nodes?

After installing NetView NT I noticed that CPU utilization on two routers
exceeded 90% because of the SNMP process.  After doing some research, I
noticed it was whenever netmon did a demand poll, or I used MIB browser to
query for route table information, that caused the high cpu utilization.

I've thought of changing the object attributes to be something other than
router, but I was hoping there might be another method.  Also, I don't
believe it's a router IOS bug (Cisco 7513 running 11.2(13)P) because the
routers in question connect to the Internet (big I) and are running BGP-
i.e., large route table = large SNMP process when queried.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Stephen Truxton
Intel Corporation
Hillsboro, Oregon