Re: TME10 - Netview Web-Access

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: TME10 - Netview Web-Access
From: MICHAEL_IMHOFF@HP-DENMARK-OM1.OM.HP.COM
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 20:49:59 +0200
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
     It's correct that Netscape 4.0x is recommended. In
     web_readme.html#SupportedBrowser it says:

     Supported Browser

          Currently, Netscape Navigator 4.0x is the only supported browser.

          Although Netscape Navigator 3.01 works with the NetView web
          interface, it is not recommended because it is prone
          to crash and consumes too much CPU time during submaps display.

     - Michael.

Author:  Non-HP-petr (petr@DATASYS.CZ) at HP-Belgium,mimegw3
Date:    12-08-98 18:07

Hello, Siegbert;

We also had the same problem when trying to access the web interface. We did not
find out how a user can become a registered user of the web server (you  might
look at the /usr/OV/web/httpd/htpasswd command; it sets a password for a user.
However, I was not successful even with the password). I am not an Apache guru
so I was forced to do this (I have already ordered an Apache guide...).

Since we have NOT a production environment (NV is used only by Tivoli
consultants), I commented out the entry "require valid user" in the
/usr/OV/web/httpd/conf/access.conf. You can also change the entry
"allow from all" to ensure that only from privileged stations can your
users use the web interface.

Also, I recommend that you read the readme file accessible from the
web interface (on the NV homepage). There are some notes on using
Netscape browsers of various versions from 3.01. I am using Netscape
Communicator 4.(0)5.

Best regards,
Vladimir.

--