Re: NetView for NT 5.0 Rev. A

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: NetView for NT 5.0 Rev. A
From: Will Mason <wmason@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 07:43:27 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Hi Debbie,

I'll see if I can help you out on some of the question below.  If
anyone notices an error in what I reply, please don't hesitate to
acknowledge it.

Debbie Sparg wrote:

> I am having some problems with NetView NT 5.0 Rev. A and wonder if anyone
> can help with the following questions. I am more familiar with Unix (AIX).
>
> I am running NT 4.0 SP3.
>
> 1)      Will the webbrowser kit work with IIS 4.0 (the doc. Only mentions IIS
> 3.0). If yes, how do we do it?

NV 5.0 does not work with IIS 4.0, only with IIS 3.0.  NV 5.1 fixes this and
canwork
with both.

> 2)      How does NetView resolve hostnames for workstations running for e.g.
> Windows 95. We do not have a DNS. We do have the names defined in WINNS.
> Does NetView get the name from WINNS or is it from the machine name defined
> (NETBIOS?). The names are not defined in the hosts file.

>From the Windows NT Help program:

Windows Internet Name Service ( WINS )

A name resolution service that resolve Windows NT networking computer
names to IP addresses in a routed environment. A WINS server handles
name registrations, queries, and releases.

Discovery is done by a passive and active method.  First the arp cache and
route tables from the nearest routers are used to start the creation of the map,
then ping is used to discover those IPs which were not in the route table or
cache for systems that are alive.  NetView builds it topological view from all
this info then uses what ever name resolution capabilities exist on the NT
machine on which it resides.

> 3)      I have the NetView Server installed on NT4.0 . I would like to install
> client(s). Must these clients also be NT ? Is any other system supported -
> ? Windows 95

NetView client must also be installed on an NT 4.0 machine, either workstationor
server.

> 4)      The customer will also be installing Software Artistry on an NT
> platform
> for helpdesk. How can I integrate it with NetView so trouble tickets can
> automatically be opened from certain NetView events ?

This is a two step process at this time.  NetView sends events to the Tivoli
EnterpriseConsole which can then correlate and act upon them.  The TEC then
sends
these
to the Service Desk to create trouble tickets.  A response is generated and
passed
back down to the TEC to act upon it.  In a nutshell its not a difficult
problem, it
just
requires that one be running the Tivoli Enterprise Console.

Good Luck,

Will
Will Mason
NetView Product Evangelist

wmason@tivoli.com
http://www.tivoli.com

"While the inferior man seeks to put the blame on
other persons, bewailing his fate, the superior
man seeks the error within himself."

I-Ching