Re: Couple of Questions about NetView for NT (was Couple of

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Couple of Questions about NetView for NT (was Couple of Questions)
From: James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 16:55:11 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
A couple of questions? More than a coupke, don't you think?

I have a couple of answers but for the others you'll have to hope someone
else knows, or else open a problem to Support.

>It seems that a node in the seed file who support snmp but not tcp is
>     causing the problem, is there a way to tell the seed file to time out
>     if it checks connectivity. (netcheck seems to work fine)

I don't know how you could support SNMP without supporting TCP, since SNMP
is defined as working over TCP/IP.
But you can indeed cause netmon problems if the nodes in your seed file are
unreachable.  There is no such things as a timeout like you suggest.  The
rule of thumb is "If you cannot ping it, then don't put it in there".
Otherwise, netmon will keep trying to reach it evry chance he gets.

> I'm using MSSQL database and connectivity to the database is working
>     the events come from the database and snmpcollect also write info
into
>    the database, then why do I still need ovwdb?

Using a relational database does not replace the one maintained by ovwdb.
There are three databases (object, topology, and map) and unless they have
really changed the NT product in ways I don't understand (which is
possible, I'll admit, since I don't work on it), only topology would get
loaded into the relational db.  This is how it works on UNIX.

>Is there at some stage that I will be able to emulate an AIX machine
>     with the Nways tower of products on NT ? It seems that the Nways
>     workgroup manager is separated app and do not live with Netview on
the
>     same NT box.

The Nways product for NT is stand-alone.  It can co-exist with NetView but
it is separate because it was developed before NetView for NT.  Will they
ever act on NT like they do on UNIX?  Who knows.  It probably won't be
soon.

>There is also an PTF UR50178 available, where can I get hold of it?

This is an NWAYS PTF and it is not available yet.  When it is you can get
it by calling Support or from fixdist; whatever way you use now to get
maintenance.

I have no idea about your web browser problems.  I suggest you call
Support.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

lauritz Strydom <Lauritz.Strydom@MAIL.ING.NL> on 08/19/98 05:20:24 AM

      NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>

     Hi I just subscribe to the list and hope someone in the group can
     help..

     I installed TME 10 Netview 5.0a for NT  and everything seems to be
     fine, but the seed file seem to hang up the machine when the netmon
     demon kicks in..

     It seems that a node in the seed file who support snmp but not tcp is
     causing the problem, is there a way to tell the seed file to time out
     if it checks connectivity. (netcheck seems to work fine)

     I'm using MSSQL database and connectivity to the database is working
     the events come from the database and snmpcollect also write info into
     the database, then why do I still need ovwdb?

     Is there at some stage that I will be able to emulate an AIX machine
     with the Nways tower of products on NT ? It seems that the Nways
     workgroup manager is separated app and do not live with Netview on the
     same NT box.

     With the Netview 5.0a I also use the WEB front end to the system,
     connectivity is fine but getting access error when I try to read the
     event log. The event log is working fine through Netview, access for
     the user of WWW is full and added to administrator list, but still
     give me access error.

     Also through the WEB browser if I click on an object and want to ping
     it is just say bad host name and time out. I check that DNS is working
     from the server command line the Netview program does not seems to
     have a problem, what else can I check. Host program also work fine.

     There is also an PTF UR50178 available, where can I get hold of it?

     Thanks

     Lauritz Strydom