Re: trapd

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: trapd
From: "John A. Dorsey" <dorsey@COLQUITT.ORG>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 23:41:57 -0600
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Moe,

-> What I would like to do now, is forward those traps to the serial port on
-> the back of the NV box. I did here that this could be done on earlier
-> versions of NV, but my problem is that I don't know how to do it.

        Couple of years ago, when I was doing Netview for the Houston
school district, they wanted to set up a Simon(TM) lightboard for their
helpdesk, and have netview feed known status info to that display.  We
did it by setting up a print queue, convincing the AIX server that
a serial port was a dumb printer, and putting the Simon controller on
the other end of the serial port.

        So to send traps (or whatever) to the serial port, we just ran
custom scripts triggered by the trap, and the script would print an
appropriate message to the print queue, etc.

        Perhaps something like this is what you want to do.

-> Moe

                        John