Re: Limitiations of Read Only maps? default map only vs multiple

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Limitiations of Read Only maps? default map only vs multiple map s?
From: Ray Schafer <schafer@TKG.COM>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 12:29:16 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
On Fri, 21 Aug 1998, Brook, Bryan S wrote:

>         If you are running in a 1 map environment (default map ONLY) and you
> have multiples users using this map, what will be different for the people
> who have the read-only copy?  Will they still see status changes?

Status changes, yes.
The function of adding or deleting objects from the map is not avaliable to the
read-only maps.  For example, a collection with the rule: (isRouter=True &&
(IP Status = "Critical" || IP Status = "Marginal")) will cause routers to be
placed into and removed from the collection depending on their status.
You will see the nodes appear and dissappear from the collection in the
read write map, but not the read-only map.  Their color will change, but
routers that were not critical or marginal when the read-only map was opened,
will not appear on the map for the collection if their status changes to critcal
or marginal.

You cannot delete objects from the read-only map.  Objects added to the map will
not appear on the read-only copy until the map is refreshed.

>         It seems to me that there isnt any benefit to creating 6 maps (one
> for each user) if they all are the same "view".  If you had to remove an
> object, you would have to do so 6 times.  Why would you want to run in a
> multiple map environment?

If they are all the same view, you are right.

--
Ray Schafer            The Kernel Group         http://www.tkg.com
schafer@tkg.com        +1 212 880 6444          Pager: (800) 532-4722