Re: Adding field upon discovery

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Adding field upon discovery
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 15:34:05 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Joe, I have only worked a little with the ruleset editor, but one of the things
I was able to make it
do was to set a value. No code or anything. I was quite proud of myself,
actually. There is a netview
event when a node is added. You could, in the rule, intercept that event and
use the Set Database
Field action. If the field does not exist yet for that node (which it won't in
your case) it is added. That
really surprised me. You would first have to define the field somewhere in
/usr/OV/fields/C, and be
sure to give it the Locate flag, as I assume you want to find newly-added
devices. I don't have my
notes with me, but I think the whole process was pretty easy.

Cordially,

Leslie Clark
IBM Global Services - Network & Systems Management - Detroit

the question was:

How can one add a field to all *new discovered* objects in the NV database
where "isInterface=TRUE" and "isIP=TRUE"?  I am semi-familar with the NV
API's and have used it to create NV fields and set field values, but how can
I use the API to set a new field when netmon discovers a new device where
the above conditions are true?  I assume I may need to use some callback
function to do this?  Can someone provide an example?  Thanks in advance,