Re: What happens if a node changes it's IP address

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: What happens if a node changes it's IP address
From: Michael Dors <miked@MTP.GOV>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 10:46:28 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
sfrancis@commserv.ucsb.edu wrote:

> This is probably not true.  Most devices do a gratuitous ARP when they
> bring up an interface: when the fail over interface takes over, its
> gratuitous ARP will cause Netview to update its own ARP cache (at least,
> if AIX conforms to teh RFC.)
>

> On Thu, 27 Aug 1998, Michael Dors, Senior Network Analyst wrote:
>
> > You didn't say whether Netview was on the same ip segment or not.
> >
> > If the server is indeed on the same segment as Netview than you will
> > have to flush the arp cache
> > on Netview in order for it to communicate with the server.
> >
> > If the server is on a different ip segment no action is required.
> >
> > Regards, Mike

Not all devices support the implementation of gratuitous ARP as documented
in the RFC.  With regard to UNIX OS, I know for a fact that both Solaris
and BSD support this feature but that System V does not.  I have not tested
this on AIX but since AIX is based on the System V implementation I would
assume the same.