Re: What happens if a node changes it's IP address

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: What happens if a node changes it's IP address
From: Ronivon Candido Costa <ronivon@LIVEWARE.COM.BR>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 09:37:46 -0300
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>

> Not all devices support the implementation of gratuitous ARP as documented
> in the RFC.  With regard to UNIX OS, I know for a fact that both Solaris
> and BSD support this feature but that System V does not.  I have not tested
> this on AIX but since AIX is based on the System V implementation I would
> assume the same.

I've seen this some time ago. We had an HACMP environment, with a few
terminal servers connected to an AIX box. When the AIX box got down
and the other AIX box tooks over, the terminal servers should
connect to the new AIX box, which had the same IP, but different
MAC address than the failure machine.

The terminal servers was not able to connect the new AIX machine...
It was necessary to restart the terminal servers!

--
Ronivon C. Costa             LIVEWARE Tecnologia a Servico Ltda
Support Systems Analyst      http://www.liveware.com.br/