Re: nvevents

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: nvevents
From: James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 08:56:40 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Sounds like you may have a problem and you definitely have a
misunderstanding.

First the misunderstanding.  The Events window does not show any old events
from ovevent.log.  That was how it worked in NetView V3 and earlier.  Now
you see events from nvcorrd's cache.  If he has just been restarted when
you bring the GUI up then you will not see any events.  You can check
whether everything is functioning by issuing the event command.  Just type
in event.  You should see a dummy Node Up event in the event window in a
few seconds.
If you do, then all is well.  If you don't then you need to call Support as
you have a genuine problem.

You can configure the event window to hold more events (see
/usr/OV/app-defaults/Nvevents) but they will all be current ones (those
arriving after the last restart of nvcorrd).  You cannot configure the
event window to load old events. If you want to see old ones, then use
Events History.  That is what it is for.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Alain Menezes <a.menezes@cger.be> on 09/16/98 06:25:47 AM

Please respond to a.menezes@cger.be