Re: Difference between DIA & MLM

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Difference between DIA & MLM
From: Jim Kellock <jkelloc@IBM.NET>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 20:45:53 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Both MLM and DIA are agents/daemons that can run on the Netview server
or on a remote machine.

MLM has sevral platforms.
DIA runs currently on AIX, NT, and HPUX.

MLM is a Tivoli product that uses TCP communications and can work with
Netview to report status and do dicovery of selected nodes and can also
report device and node resource status based on thresholds, etc.
The DIA is a product of IBM Networking Software and is a Java-based that
can similarly report status and send traps to Netview based on
thresholds.

MLM stores data in the file on the server.
The DIA stores information in a JDC enabled database (a copy of DB/2 v5
comes with the Nways license (not the try-and-buy cd)

Users can add thresholds definitions to the MLM.
The DIA currently comes pre-configured with MIBII, IBM enterprise, and
selected other enterprise MIBs loaded.  Users cannot currently add
entities.

DIA is auto-learning, that is, once you turn on monitoring for a device
(it's mainly for network devices like routers and switches) it uses an
internal algorithm to develop a standard for network traffic, interface
utilization, etc, for devices you enable it for.  Then, when a learned
threshold is exceeded by a factor determined by standard deviation, a
trap is sent to Netview and a button on the Java device view for that
device is changed (color).  You can also define thresholds for defined
variables.

MLM is a mature product that has been around a while.  Version 5.0 of it
is shipped with Netview V5.

DIA (and it's parent product- the Nways Java Performance Monitor) is
about a year old and is being enhanced with each new release of the
Nways Manager.

See http://www.networking.ibm.com for additional information.  There's
at least one good white paper on the DIA there.  There are lots of sites
with details on the MLM, including www.tivoli.com.  Search on MLM from
any search engine.