Re: ovw BadAccess Message from NV for AIX

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: ovw BadAccess Message from NV for AIX
From: Adriana Gomes <agomes@VE.IBM.COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 10:50:36 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
To:   nv-l@ucsbvm.ucsb.edu

James,

I don't have opened a case in Support yet. I am trying to solve this
problem since last saturday, but we will be in production the next week, so
every day with no results makes the case more urgent. Thanks for your help,
and my comments inline:

>Have you opened a call to Support?  You should if your problem is >urgent.

>I hardly know where to begin.  There are no problems more difficult to
>debug than those created by user customization which did not work.

The GUI customizations I made were adding locations objects by geographical
distribution, because I am managing a Latinoamerican network, so there are
a lot network devices connected.

>To begin with, I hope you have a backup, because you may have to >delete
this map and start over. You should always be able to see the >location
symbols you have created regardless of the background file  >you have
chosen.

The problem basically is the submap icons is not shown at all, only
displays the background map. Besides, in the navigation tree, the RootMap
icon and the IP Internet icon only display the square (the button), but
don't show the bitmap inside it. Even so, I can navigate with them, but I
only see the background map. This display problem can appears suddenly when
I maximize the NetView window, or when I navigate through the submaps, and
always appears the follow message:
     ovw: BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied)

>If you remove them altogether can you then see your location symbols?
I can't see them, and I can't remove them because I can't select them with
mouse (is like they really disappear from the submaps). The only way to
solve (bypass) the problem is closing the NV GUI and opening it again.

>If so, are they in the application plane or the user plane (shadowed)?
In the application plane.

>Are your location symbols on the Internet submap as they should be?

Yes, the location icons are in the Internet submaps.

>Be sure to review the section in NetView Administrator's Guide, >Chapter
3, entitled "Adding Symbols and Objects" so you have a good >idea about
what I am talking about.

>I would begin the debug process by formatting the nettl log when this
>happens.
     >netfmt -f /usr/OV/log/nettl.LOG00 > formatted.LOG00
     >netfmt -f /usr/OV/log/nettl.LOG01 > formatted.LOG01
>and look in the formatted output for more descriptive error messages

Ok, thank you very much, I will do it and I will send you the status.

>I would also shut down the GUI and try ovmapcount -a and then >ovtopofix
(-A if you have just one map, -a if you have more than one), >and see if
that helps.  These are the first things Level 2 Support >will request that
you do.

Thanks again,
Adriana

>James Shanks
>Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Adriana Gomes N.
Phone: (582) 9088615.   Tie-line: 777-8615
Address: Av. Ernesto Blohm, Ed. IBM. Chuao. Caracas, Venezuela.
e-mail: agomes@ve.ibm.com