Re: Netview 4.1 Problem

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Netview 4.1 Problem
From: James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 14:27:58 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Cornelis -

I am not certain what the nature of your problem is and my suggestion, of
course, is that you call Support the next time it happens and get some help
in pinning it down.  But there are a few things I can offer, based upon
what you have said.

First, ovspmd is single-threaded.  That means that if you have done an
ovstart, for example, and it has not completed, then you cannot do an
ovstatus or an ovstop.  They will just hang waiting for the previous
command to complete.  So the next time your ovstatus hangs, do a ps -ef  |
grep ov   and see if there are other such command still running.  You can
then kill the previous one.  It may even put an error message to the window
in which it was running if you do.

If snmpCollect (or any other daemon for that matter) has exited for reasons
unknown, always look for a core file, either in /usr/OV/PD/cores (many
daemons put cores there) or else look in the root (/) directory.  If you
find a core in / and it is current, then you can try to figure out who
produced it.  One way is to use the strings command.  Another is the od
command (for AIX  Version 4.1 and 4.2 -- I haven't tried this on 4.3 yet):
od -c <core_filename> 0x6b0  | head    .    The name of the coring process
should be spelled out in the array, one letter at a time.   Armed with this
information, you should be in a good position to call Support.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Cornelis Jacobi <C.A.Jacobi@NL.DAP.PHILIPS.COM> on 09/25/98 02:40:36 AM

      NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>