One device reported different Link Address to another

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: One device reported different Link Address to another
From: Simon Long <simon@NETTRACK.COM.AU>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 16:53:14 +1000
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Hi,

I am experiencing the same problem as was involved in the following
dicussion which took place some time back:-

>hi,
>I get follownig error-message permannently:
>[Routername...] reported differenet Link Address than obtained from
>[Switchname...]
>can anybody say, what it is ?

>thanks
>Esfandiar Tabari
>Network Operating Center Hugo Boss Germany
>Tel. 0049-7123-94 2581
>Fax: 0049-7123-94 82581                  email:
>esfandiar_tabari@hugoboss.com

>Hi,

>I had the same problem.
>The switch was in a HUB with several other switches and bridges and had

>only one IP address. This address was used for every HUB components.
The
>routers want to talk to the switch. So they send an ARP request for
getting
>the MAC address for the switchs IP address. The switch answers to the
IP
>address and propagates the MAC address of the component which is
nearest to
>the router. So the router has in his ARP table the MAC address of the
>nearest component. Same thing for the NetView machine. The router and
the
>NetView were connected to different switches. So the router and the
NetView
>had different MAC addresses for the same IP address in the ARP table
and
>that is why I got that message.

>Hope this helps

>Mario

 >Nachricht von:                             (Embedded image moved to
file:

PIC13597.PCX)
 >Esfandiar_Tabari
 >28

Does this mean I just disregard this event or is there something I can
do?   It seems to occur a lot on our network.

Thanks,

Simon Long
Nettrack Technical Solutions Pty Ltd