Trouble creating Actions within rulesets on Netview 5.1 for NT

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Trouble creating Actions within rulesets on Netview 5.1 for NT
From: Ray Schafer <schafer@TKG.COM>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 15:35:51 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
I seem to be missing something.  We have a registration file which calls an
executable (.exe) program with the Selected node passed in as the argument
just fine.  However we have to pass the C program the IP address of the
node, the selection name doesn't work.  So we get the IP address by running
a perl script that parses the output of ovtopodump SelectionName to get the
IP address of the node, and then calls the C program with this address.  It
doesn't run.  In fact, we can't get a simple batch file to run (all it does
is print something to a log file).  Everything works from when run from the
command line.  There are no errors being printed that we can see.  What are
we missing?

Also, I have created a ruleset on UNIX, that sends node down traps to a
QueryCollection Node.  From there (if it is in the collection or smart set)
it runs an action.  This time a C program.  We have the ruleset activated in
the nvcorrd daemon configuration, but it doesn't fire off our action.  What
is going on?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

--
Ray Schafer                   | schafer@tkg.com
The Kernel Group              | Network Computing Consulting