Re: Filesize

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Filesize
From: Ray Schafer <schafer@TKG.COM>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 20:35:19 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
This is a so called "sparce" file.  Tar can package it up OK, but it will
try to allocate the the disk space to hold the file when you restore.  Other
archivers such as cpio or pax can handle sparse files.  Backup/restore on
AIX can as well. The pax command can unpack tar or cpio archives and it does
handle the sparse files.  If you have the Netview Turbo database utilities
you can optimize for space.  I think that (but am not sure) it will minimize
these types of files.