NV5.0 rulesets

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: NV5.0 rulesets
From: "Rama, R. (Reggie)" <ReggieR@NEDCOR.CO.ZA>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 11:16:50 +0200
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Hello World

I am a first time user of this forum, so please be patient. I am using AIX
4.2 with NV 5.0 and my problem is as follows.

I need to create a ruleset to filter out all traps related to certain groups
of devices i.e. servers, routers etc. I have created collections of these
devices and I have built the ruleset as follows. When a trap arrives, I
check if either it's a NV trap ( varbind 2 ) or if the trap is from an agent
(origin) and check if either of these belong to the relevant collection
(Query Database Collection). If the trap does belong to the collection , I
forward it to the events desk.

        ( 2 contained in Collection ) , forward trap to be displayed
        ( origin contained in Collection) , forward trap to be displayed

However, when I activate this ruleset, I receive all the traps as if this
ruleset does not exist. I have attempted using nvcdebug but I cannot
understand the output because the API has not be published.

The reason the above is being done is because this ruleset needs to be run
from the NV web browser.

Has anyone encountered this before and if so, how did you overcome this
problem.

Regards
Reggie Rama
Nedcor IT, S.A