[no subject]

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
From: Ray Schafer <schafer@TKG.COM>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 23:19:19 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
There is an object ID of the node in the Node down event.  I don't have one
in front of me, but I believe it is the last value in the 4th attribute of
the trap.  You can query the "IP Status" of the object by doing this inside
an action node from a ruleset:
ovobjprint -o ${NVATTR_4## *} | grep "IP Status" | awk '{print $4}'

(The ${NVATTR_4## *} is ksh specific, so you must use ksh to execute the
script (or place "#!/bin/ksh" on the first column of the first line of the
script).  It will show the last space separated value in $NVATTR_4, which I
believe holds the value of the object ID.  I apologize that I can't check it
myself, you will have to do that, but at least you get the idea.  Check the
xnmtrap command, look at the description for the Node Up Netview6000 trap.
It describes the fields, and you can verify it there.

The status is changed by netmon.  It sends the Node Up trap when it changes
the status, so you can indirectly tell if the Node Up event has been
received.

If the output of the above command is not "Normal(3)" (You will need to
check to make sure the number in the parentheses is really 3 - I can't
remember), than you can then use snmptrap to send a trap to another node
using the same variables.  Or you could just sleep for your retention period
then check the output of the command. If it's not Normal send your page from
the action node.  Then exit :-).

The