Requirements For Managing Daemons

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Requirements For Managing Daemons
From: Simon Long <simon@NETTRACK.COM.AU>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 16:47:04 +1000
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Hi,

I recently took the Netview daemons down from the command line
to perform a backup and then attempted to bring them back up
without sourcing the Tivoli environment file ( ie. .
/etc/Tivoli/setup_env.sh )
and ovtopmd failed to start - exiting with Signal 9 ( as well as it's
dependant
daemons - ems_sieve_agent, snmpCollect, and netmon ). I tried to source
this subsequently but had no success. Upon reboot the daemons came up
fine.

Does this mean that management of Netview daemons now has to take
place completely from the Framework Desktop to be safe?   Or am I
misjudging the nature of the problem or trying to oversimplify it?

Thanks,

Simon Long
Nettrack Technical Solutions Pty Ltd