Re: Utilization on Serial interfaces vs. Ethernet/TokenRing

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Utilization on Serial interfaces vs. Ethernet/TokenRing
From: Roger Kearsley <KEARSR@SPCS.BRITISHSTEEL.CO.UK>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 09:36:46 +0000
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Roger Kearsley
10/09/98 09:36 AM

To:   NV-L @ UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU
cc:

For full-duplex links, use the formula

max(inOct,outOct) *8 *100/ifSpeed

(for other links, use (inOct+outOct) *8*100 /ifSpeed)

JGiuliotti@MFS.COM on 08/10/98 21:49:21

Please respond to NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU

To:   NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU
cc:    (bcc: Roger Kearsley/IT/BritishSteel1)

Hi,
I know I have seen this discussed before so can someone clarify the
difference in utilization % on serial links vs. other network mediums? I
think transmission in simplex vs. duplex has something to do with it. Also
can someone give me the correct way to set up mib polling for bandwidth
utilization on serial links?
For other links, I use the inOct+outOct *8 /100 *ifSpeed  formula.
Thanks in advance.
J.P. Giuliotti