Cabletron and "oid_to_type"

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Cabletron and "oid_to_type"
From: Simon Long <simon@NETTRACK.COM.AU>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 17:18:55 +1000
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Hi,

I have been noticing a lot of IBM_NVMLLA and IBM_NVULLA
events being generated for, as it turns out Cabletron switches.
The events are concerned with different hosts reporting
different link addresses for the same host.
Looking at the comparative Link Addresses I noted that the
disagreeing hosts only differ in one bit.   Looking at the
available parameters for netmon I found a "ignore source-route
bit" option "For Cabletron Devices".   I switched this on.

Then I found that the events were still being generated.   But on
checking the information held in the topology database for the
Cabltron devices I found no Vendor mapping that would
normally come from the oid_to_type file.   So what I am keen to
learn is:-
            1.  Does the source route bit handling rely upon being
                 able to identify the device as a Cabletron device?
            2.  If so, what is the required oid_to_type entry, or
                 otherwise is there some automated mechanism for
                 pulling in the oid_to_type mappings for Cabletron
                devices?    Might there be a central authority from
                which you can get this information ( ie. recommended
                settings )?   The oid_to_sym details would be nice too!

Regards,

Simon Long
Nettrack Technical Solutions Pty Ltd