Confused over Framework concept thinggy required for NetView

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Confused over Framework concept thinggy required for NetView
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 08:30:07 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Tivoli Framework is a big subject and if you have had no prior exposure to it I
would
suggest you find someone who has and have them sit with you on the first go
around.
You can also go through the archives of this server looking for Framework to
find some
lists of steps. Depending on the levels of OS and Framework, there are some
tricks.

That said, here are some basics.

If you want just a standalone Netview, like you had with V4, you will need to
install the
TMR Server on your target box first. The Managed Node business is for cases
where
you already have a Tivoli environment, with a TMR Server, and some box in that
environment will be your Netview box.

Tivoli needs to be told that there is such a thing as Netview before you can
'create
a Netview Server' (that is, install Netview), so you have to install the Patch
that is on
the CD to define it. It adds Netview Server to the list of things you can
create.

Policy Region is how Tivoli controls access to functions and resources.
Management
policies apply within the context of a policy region. After you install the TMR
Server
code on your box, you will have a Policy Region (looks like a domed building)
and
inside it will be your box. It is within this Policy Region that you will
create the resource
'Netiew Server'.

When you 'create a Netview Server' it brings up a dialog to install the netview
code.
That install is no longer the familiar installp, but the result is the same,
and the output
is in /tmp/upate.log as before.

Given this background, now re-read the installation instructions in the
Framework
manual (Chapter 5 in the Framework manual, I think) and the install intructions
for
Netview and the release notes and maybe it will make more sense.

Cordially,

Leslie Clark
IBM Global Services - Network & Systems Management - Detroit
(248) 552-4968 TL/896-4968

Hi forum readers,

I have installed and used NetView 4 but not yet NetView 5. I have read the
Release Note for NV 5.1 and found TME 10 Framework Installation Setup.
In the installation guide, the instruction ask to a) Install TME 10 version
3.1.1 or later (TMR Server) on a machine that is to be Framework Server
b) and if TME 10 Framework Server is on a different machine from TME 10
NetView then I need to install Frame work (TMR managed node) on the NetView
machine.

Can anybody clarify this to me
1) Am I right by saying I can install either TMR Server or TMR managed node
to work with my NetView (before I can install NetView 5x)

2) Let say if I am purely managing Network (all network devices and no
total System Management), am I right by saying that I will only need a
machine to install my Netview with either TMR Server or TMR managed node
and I do not need additional machine for the TMR server...in other word TMR
Server is only required when I have other TME 10 stuff running on another
machine and I need all TME application work with each other..

3) What is this policy region ?

Thanks in advance
Ai