Re: DEFUNCT process

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: DEFUNCT process
From: Petr Vladimír <Petr@DATASYS.CZ>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 18:01:15 +0200
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Hi, Alain;
DEFUNCT process is a zombie process, i.e. the process that has torn off
from the terminal so you cannot control it (you may have seen the
message "no such process id" or whatsoever when attempting to kill it).
As far as I know there is no other way to kill it than killing its
parent or rebooting the box (when the parent is init).

Regards,
Vladimir.