Re: PP size at install

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: PP size at install
From: Simon Long <simon@NETTRACK.COM.AU>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 08:51:06 +1000
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
The install process will calculate the PP size necessary for the inclusion of
the
specified disks, as you say.   Probably the easiest solution for your problem is
to temporarily include a 9Gb disk into your rootvg then remove it ( reducevg ).
I don't think you can use the bosinst.data file for quite this purpose - but I
may be wrong.
In the past it has been possible to adjust the PP size by amending the
image.data file with a different PP size before running a mksysb (ie. requiring
you to specifically run the mkszfile option first before amendments, then
mksysb thereafter without the options which will recreate the image.data file ).
Upon restore of the mksysb the PP size should be changed.  BUT -  I
wouldn't do this unless I had a very good reason and I would make as many
normal mksysbs as I could before starting and check them ( eg. using
"tapechk" ). I don't like the idea of relying on tape.   In any event it's
normally considered good policy to separate your user data from your
operating system elements by putting them in separate Volume Groups.
For each new "non-rootvg" Volume Group you create you can specifically
indicate the PP size at the outset.

Regards,

Simon Long
Nettrack Technical Solutions Pty Ltd