Cleaning up after seed file revisions

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Cleaning up after seed file revisions
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 1998 23:34:22 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
As far as I know, there is not a real tool for doing this; generally I find the
need to do this early in
the impementation and I am still willing to flush the database and rediscover.
However, after doing
the big cut/paste, I would suggest this: Use the Locate function to find all
the now-unwanted nodes, or
chunks of them; (probably selected by Attribute); Use
View...Highlights...Select Highlights; now they
are selected. (check the Locate...Selected Objects List as a sanity check);
then Edit.. Delete... From
All Submaps.

If you have multiple maps, you might check the trapd.log for a list of nodes
that were deleted as a
result of this activity, and make a script to run ovotopofix -r <selectionname>
against them. Then
open the other maps and let the deleted objects synchronize out.

Generally I plan on doing a number of flushes as I refine the seedfile and
don't invest too much time
on cutting and pasting until I'm pretty sure of the seedfile, so I don't have
to go through the manual
cleanout.

(248) 552-4968 Voicemail, Fax, Pager

---------------------- Forwarded by Leslie Clark/Southfield/IBM on 11-01-98