Re: mib2trap and SNMPV2 (was Re: Problem with nvaddtrapdconf)

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: mib2trap and SNMPV2 (was Re: Problem with nvaddtrapdconf)
From: James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 13:18:30 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Joe -

Have you tried running mib2trap against this MIB?   I took a look at the
parsing routine in mib2trap and I saw that it does parse NOTIFICATION-TYPE,
but I declined to continue my investigation into what happens after that.
So I may have been wrong about only looking for TRAP-TYPE before.

What can you do if mib2trap doesn't handle it?  Two major choices
(1) Call Support and report it and perhaps it will get fixed later on
(2) Do any one of a number of things you did with Version 4 of NetView
where there was no mib2trap
     a.  Look for doc from the vendor and add the trap to trapd.conf using
the GUI or addtrap.
     b.  Read the MIB and figure out what the enterprise id should be and
then with the NOTIFICATION-TYPE defs, add traps for that enterprise (looks
like they are generic 6 and specific 1 and 2 per the def below) based on
what it tells you (not much).  Since you don't know what variables will be
provided from the definition below, you will still have to use $* to see
them all.
     c.  Wait for the traps to arrive and use the information provided in
the "NO FMT FOUND" trap to define them.  Unless there are more NOTIFICATION
sections, the MIB says there are just these two.

Even with mib2trap, the odds are good you are still going to have to
configure the traps after you start getting them, since you won't know what
severity to place on them or whether you should send them to TEC,  and so
on.   New product usage is always like that.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

"Prokott, Joe" <Joe.Prokott@WESTGROUP.COM> on 11/03/98 12:02:51 PM

      NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>