Re: Netview & Ciscoworks

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Netview & Ciscoworks
From: "Paul L. Della Maggiora" <pdellama@CISCO.COM>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 06:29:28 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
See answer below.  Hope it helps.

At 11:21 AM 10/27/98 , Chris P. wrote:
>Confman error in device to database. Toolkit getting configuration error.
>Success of TFTP transfer is unverified.  Please check system setup and
>community string.
>
>I have checked the community string and everything looks good there.  I
>have also synced the NMS with Sybase.  I don't know what else to try.  I
>have also now noticed that I cannot demand poll any of my devices.  I can
>ping them, and I am successful when I run the IP/TCP/SNMP tool.  I have
>just noticed this since loading Ciscoworks.  Any ideas on what the problems
>might be?

This is the definitive CiscoWorks connectivity troubleshooting guide.  Try the
following:

Determine whether or not tftp is working on the management station

(More information about tftp setup)

Test tftp:

cd /tftpboot
touch router_name-confg
chmod 777 router_name-confg

Telnet to router, enable, and do a 'write net' specifying the router_name-confg
file on the management station with CiscoWorks.  If the write-net works, tftp
is working; go to Determine whether or not snmp is working.

If the write-net does not work:
Are there R/W permissions for everyone on the /tftpboot directory? ('ls -ld
/tftpboot')
Is tftpd in the /etc/inetd.conf startup file?
Are any devices (non-Cisco) able to tftp to the server?

Determine whether or not snmp is working

There must be an snmp write community string set on the router for this
operation.  Telnet into the router, enable, 'show running', and look for a
similar statement:

snmp-server community private RW

On the management station with CiscoWorks, type 'nmdevman' at the command-line,
click on the device, then choose 'modify'. Check to be sure the community
string in CiscoWorks agrees with the community string on the router; if not,
change it.

Make sure the router can be pinged by name or ip by the management station from
the command-line.

Telnet into the router and 'show snmp'. Note the value of the 'Unknown
community name' field - this should not increment after the CiscoWorks
operation.

While in enabled mode in the router, do:

term mon
debug ip udp IOS 11.0 and lower or
debug snmp packets IOS 11.1 and higher

While observing the router in one window, try the failing CiscoWorks operation
in another window - you should see the request come into the router and
response go out of the router.

If traffic does not reach the router, check for access lists, connectivity
problems, etc.

If traffic goes in but does not come out of the router, check the community
string and look to see if 'Unknown community name' increments.

If traffic goes in and some appears to go out yet the operation still fails,
try increasing the timeout value (CiscoWorks 3.2) in milliseconds. For the
Korn-shell:
export CW_SNMP_TIMEOUT=5000 (moves this up to 5 seconds)
for the C-shell:
setenv CW_SNMP_TIMEOUT 10000 (moves this up to 10 seconds)

If traffic goes in and some appears to go out yet the operation still fails,
try doing an 'snmpset' from the underlying management platform, i.e. do all
snmpset operations fail? From the management platform, can you use the snmpset
operation on iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.system.sysDescr.0 to change the
system name from 'router' to 'ROUTER'?

Does increasing the packet size in the router make a difference?
(snmp-server packetsize < as_large_as_possible>)

Is the operation failing on all routers or just one?

Is an IOS image with known snmp problems such as 10.3.8 (CSCdi45948) running in
the router? If so, upgrade to at least 10.3.9.

Setting up tftp on the various systems is described at:
Configuring TFTP (Sun, HPUX -
http://cio.cisco.com/univercd/data/doc/rtr_mgmt/cw3/install/tftpcfg.htm) and
Configuring TFTP for Device Configuration Management (Aix -
http://cio.cisco.com/univercd/data/doc/rtr_mgmt/cw3aix/cwaig/validate.htm#REF19754).)

If the system is Aix 3.2.5, 4.1.2, or 4.1.3, tftp transfer will not work
without specifying the full-path name. Patches should be obtained from IBM:

For Aix 3.2.5, IX 47156 is part of ptf U445995
For Aix 4.1.2 and 4.1.3, IX 49139 is part of ptf U436906

To determine if these patches are installed:
lslpp -A | grep IX
To get U patches, go to http://198.17.57.66/aix.us/aixfixes?lang=english or
anonymous ftp to 198.17.57.66-- the /aix/fixes/v3/os or /aix/fixes/v4/os
directory.

The problem appears to be fixed in Aix 4.1.4.
Paul L. Della Maggiora, CCIE 1522
EMBU Product Manager
cisco Systems, Inc.
919 472-2340