Management of non-IP interfaces

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Management of non-IP interfaces
From: Nicaud Phil <pnicaud@WOOLWORTHS.COM.AU>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 13:07:33 +1100
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Dear Netview users

(Netview 5.1/Tivoli 3.6 on AIX 4.2)

I hope you can help me with this challenge.

How do I manage unnumbered Interfaces on an SNMP managed device?

By way of example, let's say that I have a CISCO router configured with an
X.25 port and this port is NOT assigned an IP address. What I would like to
achieve is a configuration where, when I explode the router, all interfaces
for that router are present, including the X.25 port. The X.25 interface
would reflect its UP/DOWN Status just like an IP Port. If the X.25 Interface
was to go down, the Interface object would turn Red and the Router Yellow.

I would prefer to approach this challenge with the minimum of programming if
possible. Does anybody know any way of solving this requirement easily.

Thanks for your help

Phil Nicaud
Network Consultant
Woolworths Limited