The case for Netview and Ciscoview2000

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: The case for Netview and Ciscoview2000
From: Simon Long <simon@NETTRACK.COM.AU>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 21:58:56 +1100
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Hi,

I am really keen to understand a few things:-

1. What is the current state of play with Ciscoview2000 not working
    with Netview V5 and Netview V5R1?   Is this just limited to
    Netview on a Solaris platform?

2.  With Cisco Resource Manager ( I think ) being able to work
     separately from Netview how do I make a strong case for
     buying Netview?   Here are the main justifications I can think of
    - but I haven't had much experience with the Cisco element
    managers so they are probably mostly nonsense:-

        1. Netview provides event handling capabilties such as filters,
            rulesets, trapd, etc.
        2. Netview provides network management via netmon and the
            topology and object databases, which extends beyond the
            management of cisco devices.
        3. Netview can forward event messages to a TEC server to aid in
the
            process of enterprise management.
        4. Netview can delegate distributed status polling and
collections to
            MLMs?

Can anybody shed some light on these issues for me?   Thanks,

Simon Long
Nettrack Technical Solutions Pty Ltd