Re: Netmon/Netview Pounding of Routers

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Netmon/Netview Pounding of Routers
From: Scott Wilson <swilson@RPM.COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 13:50:20 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
With OpenView it is a netmon option (I believe -r) to stop checking the routing
tables on routers.  This is usually what puts the hit on the routers CPU.  I do
not think that the same option is available on NetView however (I wish it
were).  What people have suggested here before is to block that section of the
MIB on the device (this is of course device dependent) so that your NetView
system is not configured with a valid comm string for the route able portion of
the devices MIB, while still being able to see the rest of the MIB.

Connie Logg wrote:

> I have noticed for some time that one of our routers will have sustained
> cpu
> utilization of greater than 90% for many hours (sometimes a day or more at
> spell).  I have suspected netmon/netview, and recently unmanaged the
> routers.  It seemed to resolve the problem.
>
> The November 23 issue of Network World discusses the problem (HP Openview),
> and indicates that there is a way around the problem without unmanaging the
> routers. There were no details although for netview.
>
> Can someone please tell me how to resolve this problem without leaving the
> routers unmanaged?

> " Of course the opinions expressed here are my own. "
>
> Connie Logg    CAL@SLAC.Stanford.Edu  ph: 650-926-2879
> Network Management and Performance Analyst
> SLAC (MS 97), P.O. Box 4349, Stanford, CA 94309
>
> "Happiness is found along the way, not at the end of the road."

Scott Wilson                         Email: swilson@rpm.com
Network Management Consultant        Pager: 800-506-7348
RPM Consulting, Inc.