Re: Midlevel Manager on NT Machine (MLM) Version 5.1

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Midlevel Manager on NT Machine (MLM) Version 5.1
From: Simon Long <simon@NETTRACK.COM.AU>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 14:48:03 +1100
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Hi Zahair,

I'll try to answer some of these.

Zahir Tohir wrote:

> I am trying to setup a midlevel manager on NT machine. My main Netview
> Server is on AIX 4.2.1 version 5.1.
>
> Question :
>
> 1) Can MLM discover new node ?

Yes - but only on the segment local to the MLM.  I queried this again just last
month.

> 2) Can MLM see all the network/router down the line ? What is the limitation
> ?

You can adjust the status polling of the MLM to poll the "down the line"
routers, etc by adjusting the mlm domain collection, and provided that you have

configured netmon to delegate status polling.

> 3) Can we have console on MLM ? Gui interface.

Not as far as I know - however, I have heard that the Netview for NT
server software doubles as an MLM - I have no idea what this might mean.

The MLM Configuration tool is installed automatically as part of the
standard V5 Netview server install.   Not the case with V4 but easily
added.

> 4) I know that MLM is free. But how about attended MLM on NT ?
> 5) Can MLM filter event & trap and sent only critical one to main Netview ?

Yes - this involves you configuring a number of MLM tables via the MLM
Configuration tool.   I won't go into that too much beyond saying that a
common problem experienced at the outset is that trap reception is turned
off by default.

> 6) How to proof that MLM offload Main Netview ?

I think that you are asking about how you prove that the MLM has
taken responsibility for a subnet.   Here are some notes I jotted down
some time back:-

2.14.1 Concerning Installation

You definitely need to read the release notes for this, or any other Netview
installation!

To install MLM for NT you do so locally ( ie. from on the target machine itself
).

The midmand daemon becomes a subordinate service to the SNMP service.   You can
verify it?s status using the command : ?midmand ?status? ? this will show you
the status of both the SNMP service and the ?midmand? sub-service.

Upon installation the  MLM agent is accessible via the SNMP service.

The MLM service is not intended to be used graphically, and so to configure it
you will need to do so from a Netview Server GUI.  In order to program the MLM
you do so using snmp get and set operations.   This means that once you have
made a change you will need to ?Refresh? your view of the MLM configuration to
verify the changes.   It also means that it is vital that the Netview Manager
has read/write access to the MLM MIB Tree.

2.14.2 Configuring the MLM to become responsible for status polling and
discovery on it?s own segment.

This requires that the ?netmon? daemon on your Netview server has been set up
to delegate this responsibility.  If this hasn?t already been done you can
reference how to do this on Pp 8-3 thru 8-4 in Netview ? Mid Level Manager
User?s Guide.

Once the netmon daemon is set properly it should proceed to do the following
things:-

1. Create a series of alias tables on the MLM to indicate the range of hosts
for which it is responsible.
2. Update the status monitor table for the MLM to tell the MLM it is
responsible for checking the status of the range of hosts given in the
abovementioned alias tables.
3. Update the Trap Destinations Table to indicate that the default ( or
fallback ) destination for traps is the Netview Server which the configured
version of ?netmon? is running.

This was observed to work without any problems.   I did notice a bit of a wait
in distributing the changes ( at least from the test box ? but it was
rediscovering the network at the time ) ? this was consistent with the Release
Notes

It is possible to adjust the range of nodes for which the MLM node is
reponsible for polling ? this involved changing the ?mlmDomain_<MLM name/IP
address>? collection on the management workstation which will be subseuently
distributed to the alias tables of the MLM.  The ?mlmDomain_<MLM name/IP
address>? is not automatically created but you can create it using the ?a 50
parameter for the ?netmon? daemon or by initiating the use of ?C5d? ( Agent
Policy Management Daemon ) ?.   Until you do so the local segment is the
default range of responsibility.

2.14.3 Viewing and adjusting  the MLM MIB Tables

With Version 5 Netview the software for configuring MLMs is automatically
installed with Netview.  As such all you need to do is:-
 -Select an MLM node on a submap ( eg. Left click on node )
 -Select from the pull down menu : ?Tools? ? ?MLM Configuration Application?
A panel will appear and you can select a particular table and press
?View/Modify? to ?View? or ?modify? the associated MIB tables from nicely
designed forms.  Remember, however, that to see the changes you make you will
probably need to return to the opening panel and press ?Refresh? then, after
selecting the relevant table, pressing the ?View/Modify? choice again.   This
is because you are making changes via SNMP to the MLM tables and need to
perform a get operation to pull in the changed details.

You can also get some useful information from the MLM MIB tables using some of
the ?Monitor? ? ?Mid-Level Manager? pull down menu choices.

> Thanks need help.

I hope this helps,

Regards,

Simon Long