ovtopmd and netmon --high CPU (on Netview 5.1 AIX)

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: ovtopmd and netmon --high CPU (on Netview 5.1 AIX)
From: "Brook, Bryan S" <bryan.s.brook@LMCO.COM>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 10:47:35 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
We recently upgraded to Netview 5.1 from Netview 5.0 on AIX.  After the
upgrade we began to see these processes (ovtopmd and netmon) using heavy
amounts of CPU (25% -> 75%) using top or monitor.  Has anyone else seen such
a problem?  I figured I would try here before opening a PMR.

Our environment
===========
*       Netview server is a 7015-R50/2 (multiprocessor) with 512M real
memory, 832M of page space (81% used), AIX4.2.1.0
*       8 maps (all local, all practically identical)
*       ovwdb runs with the -O -n7000 -t
*       typically 2 to 3 users use netview simultaneously
*       ovmapcount resulted in 1186 objects in object database
*       ovtopofix -a (requires an ovstop netmon) seems to slow them down.
But after awhile the CPU goes back up

Where would I look for error logging?  Is my topology database corrupted?

Any help would be appreciated.

Bryan