Re: assigning variables in a script

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: assigning variables in a script
From: "Gregory, Phil" <phil.gregory@EXCHANGE.MEB.CO.UK>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 15:52:54 -0000
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Hi Lucy,

You can remove all multiple occurences of a character in a text file
(including control characters) by using the 'tr' command.
Try:-
 tr -s ' '  < textfile > newfile         #would remove multiple occuring
spaces

Then to assign variables to each word in a line, try using the 'cut' command

cat newfile |while read text_line
        do
        first_word=(echo $text_line |cut -d" " -f 1)
        second_word=(echo $text_line |cut -d" " -f 2)
        done

Have a look at the man pages for 'tr' and 'cut' for more info.

Have fun,

Phil Gregory

Data Network Services
Midlands Electricity
Kingswinford.

phil.gregory@meb.co.uk   Tel.01384.296.191 [x3511]  fax.01384.405155

This outgoing e-mail (and any attachments) has been checked
(using Dr Solomon's v7.91) at MEB (UK 01384 296191) before
despatch, and has been found to be clean from any virus infection.