Re: Defining Collections BEFORE Discovery so Collection "SNMP

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Defining Collections BEFORE Discovery so Collection "SNMP Config. " can be used
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 09:34:39 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
The use of collections in SNMP config was put in as an aid to defining
polling criteria, not alternate community names, which is why you find it
hard to use for that purpose.

The 2048 character limit is an architectural one and cannot be altered by
any user action.

The only alternative I see for you is to use wild card entries based upon
the IP addresses of your new devices.
Otherwise you will have to put an entry in our SNMP config for each of them
just as you put an entry into DNS for each of  them.  I know this is a lot
of work but within the limits of the current design there are no
alternatives.

I am sorry that the function doesn't do what you want.  If you would like
to see it changed to better assist you, then please send a note to
netview@tivoli.com for consideration in a future release.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

"Prokott, Joe" <Joe.Prokott@WESTGROUP.COM> on 01/21/99 03:22:11 PM