Event Configuration: Trap Customization

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Event Configuration: Trap Customization
From: "Mull, John" <jmull@HERSHEYS.COM>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 16:04:46 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Hello,

Netview V4.1.2
Tivoli TME 10 V3.2

Trying to create a user defined trap that will be used as a trap for error
messages received by the errpt.  (See post from Jan 8, 1998 AIX error alert
script).  My problem is the trap message is being read by Tivoli tecad_nv6k
as the specific-trap "1", instead of "2" as was
mapped under Options..Event Configuration: Trap Customization:SNMP

The following steps were taken:
        1.  New TEC CLASS was defined as a baroc file.
        2.  Class defined in tecad_nv6k.cds

The following command is being issued to Netview to test the event:

/usr/OV/bin/snmptrap nv6000 0 "" 6 2 0 system.sysDescr.0 octetstring
"HFC_errpt"

The event in trapd.log looks good..
917902505  7  Mon Feb 01 15:55:05 1999 nv6000.hersheys.com       u  [1]
mgmt.mib
-2.system.sysDescr.0 (OctetString): HFC_errpt..

However the event being received at TEC is being read as another event class
that used the same enterprise but different
specific-trap.

Thanks for any tips or help anyone can offer to solve my problem..

John Mull
Hershey Foods Corporation
Information Technology & Integration
Enterprise Systems Management
(717)534-7959
email:jmull@hersheys.com

Any comments or statements made are not
necessarily those of Hershey Foods Corporation